Frequently Asked Questions
We take pride in our quality of gowns and those we choose to partner with. It is our goal for every bride to have a satisfying and stress-free experience when purchasing a JLM Couture product. Please refer to the information below for any questions you may have regarding a JLM Couture product.
- Q: Should I purchase Alvina Valenta, Jim Hjelm, Jim Hjelm Occasions, Lazaro, or Tara Keely dresses over the Internet?
- A: We do not recommend purchasing our dresses over the Internet. In doing so, you risk the possibility of purchasing a counterfeit dress, or purchasing from an unauthorized retailer. JLM Couture is not responsible for any purchases made through an unauthorized retailer. View our disclaimer.
- Q: Can I buy dresses directly from JLM?
- A: We do not sell directly to the public. Please visit our store locator within this web-site or call 1-800-686-7880 for a list of authorized retailers nearest you.
- Q: How do I find how much a dress costs?
- A: Prices may be obtained through an authorized retailer.
- Q: In what sizes are the dresses available?
- A: The majority of our gowns are available in size 2 – 28. Alvina Valenta Bridal gowns are available in size 2 - 24. Please visit an authorized retailer for all sizing needs.
- Q: How long does shipping take?
- A: Shipping times vary depending on time of year. Please contact an authorized retailer for details.
- Q: Would I be able to purchase extra fabric?
- A: Extra fabric may be purchased through an authorized retailer.
- Q: Are stoles available in fabrics to match the dresses?
- A: Stoles may be ordered in a variety of fabrics. Please contact an authorized retailer for details.
- Q: How can I request a swatch?
- A: Swatches may be ordered through an authorized retailer.
Extra length is available on most styles for an extra fee. Please consult an authorized retailer to determine if extra length is needed.
Some gowns can be made in other fabrics. For more information regarding which fabrics can be changed and the applicable fees, please contact your authorized retailer.
All dresses come in a wide range of colors. Please note that colors shown on your monitor may not be the best representation of that fabric or color. We recommend visiting an authorized retailer to view fabric swatches.
Dye-Lot Variation & How to Order Dresses for Girls in Different Locations
It is a good idea to have the entire bridal party place their dress orders together through one authorized retailer. This will insure that all dresses ordered will be made from the same dye lot. Please note we cannot guarantee dye-lots when ordering different styles, even if they are ordered in the same color.
If it is not feasible to get all of your bridesmaids to coordinate with one store, please visit our store locator within this web-site or call 1-800-686-7880 for a list of authorized retailers nearest you.
To verify whether a website is an authorized retailer, please contact us at 1-800-686-7880.
DON'T LET "BARGAIN" SHOPPING ON THE INTERNET RUIN YOUR WEDDING DAY.
The Internet is a fabulous resource for all kinds of things; wedding gowns and bridesmaids dresses are not one of them.
If it seems too good to be true...
it probably is! Don't be fooled by unauthorized wesites. Authentic JLM gowns are NOT AVAILABLE ONLINE!
Do not be deceived by websites offering bridal and bridesmaids gowns at a discounted price. These sites will offer discounts of 20% to 40% off the manufacturer’s suggested retail prices.
Many of these sites will lead you to believe the following:
- You are dealing directly with an Alvina Valenta, Jim Hjelm, Jim Hjelm Occaions, Lazaro, or Tara Keely retailer, when in reality you may be buying a counterfeit dress, or one from a third party which has no relationship with our company. If you purchase a dress from an unauthorized dealer and have a problem with sizing, color variation, or defective merchandise, there is no recourse.
- They are an authorized brick-and mortar retail store, when in fact they may be operating out of a private home, or through P.O. Boxes.
- They are a "buying service" ordering directly from JLM Couture when, in fact, they may actually be purchasing your gown through a third party.
What does all this mean for you?
Many of the websites will purchase your dress through a middleman who may or may not be dealing directly with the manufacturer. As you move further away from the original source of your dress, you increase the opportunity for error; which unfortunately, you will not discover until you receive your dress. The most common problems that arise include receiving the incorrect style or size, counterfeit styles, wrong colors, defective garments, or the worst possible scenario, not receiving your dress in time for the wedding. If there is a problem, who is going to correct it? Not the Internet supplier - you will be left with the stress and expense of dealing with this last minute catastrophe.
CHECK OUR STORE LOCATOR FOR AUTHORIZED DEALERS.
By dealing with our authorized retailers you are guaranteed the widest selection of our gowns in every possible color and size. You will have an experienced sales staff to assist you with not only choosing your gown, but also in following through with the details such as delivery dates, pressing, alterations, and accessories. It is important to deal with a professional at a full service bridal salon, rather than a website that is not an authorized dealer of JLM Couture products.
BEWARE OF STORES THAT CLAIM THEY HAVE ACCESS TO Alvina Valenta, Jim Hjelm, Jim Hjelm Occasions, Lazaro, and Tara Keely PRODUCTS WITHOUT REPRESENTING THESE LINES IN THEIR STORES.
Unauthorized dealers will say they can get the product and entice the bride with discounts if they purchase through their business. The unsuspecting bride may not receive an authentic JLM Couture product,and in many cases the dress is delivered the day before or after the wedding because there is no control over a third party involvement.
As for the so-called discount…
Even if you get the dress or dresses you want over the internet, you still have to pay for shipping charges, alterations, and pressing. Very often, what you purchased at a discount will end up costing you more than if you bought it full price through a full service bridal salon. Unfortunately, seamstresses are not all experienced with bridal alterations and this could be a disaster. Many brides end up having to purchase new gowns through authorized retailers to replace the damaged, counterfeit, or missing orders placed through websites and unauthorized retailers.
So much for your big savings!
By using a full service bridal salon, you are guaranteed that someone is there to help you through every step of the process. If you do run into a problem, you have a professional at your disposal to help solve it.
We urge you to deal directly with our authorized retailers to ensure the best, most efficient, and ultimately economical shopping experience.
There are a million horror stories out there. Why risk potential catastrophe on the most important day of your life?